The series of buildings, separated by the Daimler-Chrysler lot through a wide green stripe, is composed by head constructions on the Potsdamer Platz and by four neighboring buildings, each seven or eight levels high and covered by roof gardens.
All this lot was designed by architects Grassi, Diener&Diener, Schweger and Sawade, between 1993 and 2003. The three central buildings, designed by Grassi and Sawade, have a H shaped plan, while the buildings of Diener&Diener are U shaped.
A passage connect the rest of the constructions with the front building designed by Schweger+Partner, which stands out in form, position and height.
The glass building reuse the curve form of the pre-existent Haus Vaterland, an entertainment building designed by Franz Schwechter betwwen 1911 and 1912. The rounded glass facade constitutes also a pendant for the Sony skyscraper on the Potsdamer Platz.
by Jean-Baptiste Hurstel
Credit Photo: photobucket.com